Assistant Editor, Marketing & Communications
Position Title: Assistant Editor, Marketing & Communications
Reports to: Senior Editor, Marketing & Communications
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job Classification: Professional / Administrative
The Assistant Editor, Marketing and Communications, is a key member of the central Office of Institutional Advancement (IA) staff and will have broad-based responsibilities for leading the development, writing and editing of communications to increase engagement with and philanthropic support for Drexel University. This position will make critical contributions to IA’s efforts to strengthen its annual giving program and increase overall alumni engagement and participation in giving. The assistant editor will particularly focus on executing and exercising quality control for content for annual fundraising campaigns, marketing campaigns for alumni programs and events, and signature initiatives such as Drexel’s Day of Giving, Alumni Holiday Turkey Project, Homecoming, Alumni Career Services. He/she will be responsible for direct mail and email campaigns, collateral development, and content creation for the web, and digital campaigns. The assistant editor will be a collaborative, creative and deadline-oriented team member who thrives in a workplace that strongly values integrity, adaptability, innovation and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Concept, execute and provide quality control for content for annual fundraising campaigns and marketing campaigns for alumni programs and events.
- Serve as editorial lead for signature initiatives such as Drexel’s Day of Giving, Alumni Holiday Turkey Project, Homecoming, Alumni Career Services.
- Collaborate with Drexel Co-op, assigned to assist with direct email campaigns.
- Develop and refine messaging to increase participation in giving, particularly by alumni, and overall alumni engagement with Drexel.
- Develop, write and edit internal reference materials such as school/college/unit annual giving toolkits, templates and editorial guidelines.
- Collaborate with the Marketing and Communications team and internal stakeholders on developing communications strategies and creative approaches for publications, collateral and other communications.
- Work with team members to establish project timelines and work flow, circulate and secure project approvals, reconcile edits and feedback, and assist with keeping progress consistent with prescribed timeline.
- Meet with internal stakeholders, assess communications needs, keep stakeholders updated and ensure delivery to stakeholder satisfaction.
- Edit and proofread content written by other colleagues or freelance writers.
- Serve as back-up to other editorial staff as needed. Projects include writing donor, alumni and student stories, compiling class notes and obituaries for Drexel Magazine, assisting the senior editor with Drexel Details, alumni correspondence, supporting Campaign communications and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, communications or relevant combination of education and experience.
- 2 to 4 years in related fields
- Highly skilled copywriter with demonstrated ability in crafting persuasive, attention-grabbing and concise copy tailored to varied media platforms and audience segments.
- Project management experience and ability.
- Experience working with graphic designers to conceptualize marketing/fundraising collateral and to integrate copy and design.
- Skilled at copyediting and proofreading.
- Proficiency with commonly used concepts, procedures and best practices in publications, marketing and digital content creation.
- Highly collaborative with strong interpersonal skills.
- Skills to work in a team environment and on projects that involve feedback from multiple stakeholders.
- Ability to prioritize numerous time-sensitive projects, to handle shifting priorities, to meet rapid deadlines, and to respond to all requests with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability and willingness to occasionally work nights and weekends to meet pressing deadlines.
- Education and experience as described above.
Supervision and Evaluation:
The Assistant Editor reports to the Senior Editor of Marketing & Communications, who will prepare performance evaluations.
Professional presentation & actions clause as a requirement for employment:
Success in the workplace depends on a strong commitment to the tasks assigned, integrity, confidence, enthusiasm, initiative, analytical ability, understanding of volunteer relations, understanding of the vital importance of applied and experiential higher education, a sense of humor, and an understanding of the breadth and complexity of a major research university.
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our website to view all University Policies and Workplace Postings.
Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment may not begin until the University accepts the results of the background investigations.
For additional information please contact Lara Geragi , email: email@example.com phone: 215.895.0983 or apply on Drexel Jobs.